Station Building

Brill railcar 101 and trailer 303 pause at Minnipa en route to Thevenard in January 1963. Photo: Graeme Westwood

The station building was erected at the same time as the construction of the line, which was opened as far as Minnipa on 5 May 1913. It was built to a design which was used by the SAR for a number of such structures around the state in the 1910 - 1915 period. Similar buildings were provided on Eyre Peninsula at Cummins (later considerably extended) and Yeelanna. The building remained substantially unaltered until after passenger services ceased in 1968. The following year, it was remodelled to provide accommodation for the District foreman. The building was demolished on 28th May 1985.

The plans below show the station building as originally constructed in 1913.

The station building circa 1920. Photo courtesy Mortlock Library, SLSA: B41944

The station building area in 1950. The desert pea rock garden is on the right. Photo courtesy Geoffrey Leo

A downloadable file of HO scale plans can be found here.