Weighbridge Test Wagons

Prev Next

Vehicle type 4-wheel weighbridge test wagons
First introduced  
To Port Lincoln  
Ex Port Lincoln  
Load capacity  
Number on Eyre Peninsula 4
Vehicle numbers 2247 (up to 1962)
3280 (1962 - 1972)
5876 (1972 - 1985)
7083 (to date)

Over the years a succession of underframes from 4-wheel wagons have been used for weighbridge test wagons on Eyre Peninsula. it appears that the same body (basically a canopy structure containing multiple removable weights of known values) has been used, relocated from vehicle to vehicle as each underframe reached the end of its useful life. The running numbers of each underframe were retained, but (with the exception of GCF7083) the former class designations were dropped on conversion.

CC2247 was the first. It was built in 1886 as a C wagon, was transferred to Port Lincoln 1907, and was altered to a CC wagon 1931. Still listed as a CC wagon in 1937. Rebuilt as weighbridge test wagon between 1939 and 1960. Body to 3280 May 1962, underframe condemned September 1964.

BB3280 followed. Built in 1903 as B wagon, altered to BB wagon 1906. To Port Lincoln 1962, fitted with weighbridge test body from 2247. Replaced by 5876 February 1972, underframe condemned October 1972.

YY5876 was the first 'large' underframe under the weighbridge test body. Built 1924 as YY5876, new to Port Lincoln. Converted to weighbridge test wagon February 1972, replacing 3280. Condemned January 1985.

GCF7083 is the last in the line of weighbridge test wagons. It was converted from traffic fender GCF7083 some time between 1985 and 1997.

Weighbridge test wagon 3280 at Port Lincoln, 1967. The diagram below is for this vehicle. Photo: Alex Grunbach

Weighbridge test wagon GCF7083 at Thevenard, 1997. Photo: John Dennis